Black Mold

Black Mold Health Effects

Thousands of people are exposed to black mold every single year. Most of the time, there are no severe black mold health effects. However, if exposure to black mold is prolonged, there can be permanent damage to the body. Here are both the minor and severe black mold health effects:

Minor Black Mold Health Effects

Most people who have been exposed to black mold will experience health effects associated with a common cold or flu. This includes:

• Coughing or Wheezing
• Nasal and Throat Congestion
• Minor Headaches
• Itchy or Watery Eyes
• Skin Irritations (of areas in direct contact with black mold)

Black Mold Sickness

These health affects will most likely be nothing more then a nuisance to your daily life. However, if you are not treated for mold exposure, there can be more serious black mold health effects.

Severe Black Mold Health Effects

If your mold exposure is not treated and you continue to be exposed to black mold, you can experience serious health effects. Unlike the minor health effects, these can be very damaging or even permanent in nature. These health effects include:

• Brain Damage
• Chronic Bronchitis
• Permanent Lung Damage or Bleeding Lungs
• Asthma
• Constant Migraines
• Death

While death is highly unlikely, there are documented cases of individuals dying from complications associated with mold exposure. If a person has a pre-existing health condition, he or she is more likely to experience severe health effects.

Risk Factors

There are certain conditions, or risk factors that can increase the chance for a person to develop a severe black mold health effect. These risk factors include:

• Age: Senior citizens and very young children are more likely to develop severe problems.
• Pre-existing Healthy Conditions: As mentioned, you are more likely to experience severe health effects if you have a pre-existing health condition, specifically a respiratory condition.

If you are unsure whether or not you have been exposed to mold, you can contact your family physician, provided you have experienced the symptoms of mold exposure. If he or she is unable to determine, whether or not you have been exposed to mold, you may be referred to a specialist. The specialist should then be able to determine whether or not you have been exposed to mold.
The worst thing you can do if you believe you have been exposed to black mold is nothing. If you fail to contact a doctor or medication professional, you increase the chances for you to have permanent health effects. Even if you find out you have not been exposed to mold, you should rather be safe then sorry.